Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ode To Red


So long dear friend, its been wonderful journey. I remember the day I first saw Red, he was sitting under a tin roof awning sparkling clean with a feather in his visor. It was love at first sight. I got my license late - at the tender age of 20 and this was to be my first car. The first day I drove him, was the day he first became legally mine, I had gone with my brother to my parents house to pick it up on my lunch break, I worked a town away, and never really practiced driving this fickle stick shift 86 Nissan. As i slowly made it through the gears, my brother watching me in confusion in his rear view mirror, I knew we'd be together a while. I did make it back to work that day, but I apparently locked the steering wheel when I got out, because I couldn't get it to start when I got out of work. First day with the new car - not going so good. Ryan arrived to the rescue gently crushing my ego as with a flick of the wrist, he unlocked the wheel... damn him. Lesson learned - I guess.

I will always remember that truck-style Nissan aroma he had, and the time I accidentally hit the poll blocking the gas pumps. Thank you Red for all the comfortable rides, listening to my favorite music, and for teaching me how to respect a giant machine such as yourself. Thank you for giving me my respect for the manual transmission - automatics are for suckers! ;)

I ideally wanted to send you off in style - being blown up by the gang at Mythbusters, but you my friend are traditional, and dependable - not some wild myth prone vehicle. So as my final so long to you - I say thank you for all you've taught me and for all the great memories. May you keep other vehicles running for many years to come, and live out your days useful, and not sitting in our drive way covered in dust, and Spanish sayings I have yet to translate. A special Thank you to my neighbors for that contribution.

For those of you who do not know - today Red is being Junked.

May He Rest In Peace.

Love Always and Forever,
Kela

2 comments:

Annie said...

Awww! I loved this, Kee!

RIP, Red. We'll miss you!

Anonymous said...

Holds hand over heart.

RIP, Red.