Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Sometimes Karma is a Good Thing!

Ok so on Saturday I was incredibly sleepy and running late for a party that I must attend -my friends Jeannette and Bob were having a fancy catered affair for Bob’s 40th birthday! So after waking up with swollen eyes (a slight allergic reaction I guess… which passed quickly) I rushed out the door (after getting all fancy for the occasion - my eyes were normal again) and soon realize I don’t have the gas to make it all the way out to their house in the country and back without concern. So I stop at a gas station and begin to do my regular routine of getting gas – putting in the credit card…blah…blah blah… Suddenly I hear a little voice in front of me and I see a mom and daughter sitting in their small jeep like vehicle (a tracker or something like it) looking a little sad. “You wouldn’t happen to have any spare money for us to get gas would you?” the girl asked. “No, sorry – no cash.” She looked sad – and a little embarrassed for asking so I gave her a weak smile and continued on with my gas buying adventure.

After what felt like forever… but was more likely about 3 seconds – I looked up again and saw them chatting quietly eyes full of worry. I knew that feeling – embarrassment and sadness that “this was my life today… stuck at the gas station with no money for gas”. I didn’t know if it was a rouge to get my money – but I was suddenly so compelled to help if I could – so against my better judgment I looked up again and asked “How much do you need?” They both looked totally shocked and humbled… “Only like $10…” I thought about it for a second – if they were trying to con me… its only $10 and if they really do need help – I could make these girls day for only $10! It seemed worth it! I smiled and said “Let me just finish up here… I don’t think it will let me use my card twice at the same time.” They were so happy, and waiting patiently for me to finish up.

Then I slowly walked over to them and we made small talk while I put in my card and watched the daughter handle the pump carefully watching for the cost to reach $10. We chatted about how expensive gas is… and they thanked me countless times for helping them out. I just told them – “I’ve totally been there… I know the feeling”. It really seemed like I’d made a difference. When it hit $10 the girl quickly stopped the gas and made sure to get me a receipt. It was all very sweet! I wished them a wonderful day and got in my car feeling like I’d really helped someone out! As I sat in traffic just a few feet away – I heard a slight beep of a horn. I turned – half expecting to see the girls waving me a final thank you goodbye… but instead found myself looking at two very attractive 20 something guys in a car. They were trying to get me to talk to them… being really flirty and sweet – in a totally non-sleazy way! Totally made me blush, and it totally made MY DAY! Talk about good karma! Cute boys never notice me! :D I mean of course I’m married – but it’s nice to be noticed! :D

The party itself was a little strange – strange age bracket for me to be around. Normally I get along with Jeannette and Bob’s friends pretty well and Jeannette and Bob very well – even though they are in their 40’s… but not this time. There were lots of 40-50 something people there… and then lots of 1-18’s there… but it felt like I was the only one between the ages of 20-35! (doubt I was – but that’s how it seemed) Normally it doesn’t really matter to me… I can relate to just about anyone… but it felt strange… no one really seemed to know if they should talk to me… wasn’t sure where I fit in… was I the kid of someone?… was I just a guest?… it was all pretty strange. Then to top it all off – Jeannette and Bob kept telling everyone that I made these signs that all 3 of us worked on… and as entertaining as the whole night of making them with Jeannette and Bob was – I was a little embarrassed to take full responsibility for them, they were very little kiddie and silly! I am really a big craft nut – so I don’t mind doing craft projects… but I really didn’t want the praise on these… call me vain and silly – but it really made me feel silly about it – its hard enough that I look 12, you know?!

But I got over it – it was just one day! I ended up just chatting with a few old co-workers which was neat… having great food from my favorite professional caterers and left after about 3-4 hours. Not too bad since I’d spent like 5 hours there the night before helping with decorations and set up stuff. Over all it was a good day!

Just something to think about – sometimes a smile or a bit of spare cash can really make a difference in someone’s day…

Thanks for listening!

Love Always,
Kela

2 comments:

Annie said...

I love doing things like that. I figure that even if they are ripping me off, the amount of money I'm spending and the high chances of it being real based upon my intuition, etc., etc., all combined...hey. If it helps someone...

It's worth it. :)

Laura said...

And it's not like you just gave them the cash to do what they pleased... you know you put gas in their car. That's great that you did that... little things can go a long way for more unfortunate people.

Funny... Bob came in the tasting room on Sunday and told me about the party and how you did awesome on the decorations... to me that seemed like a great complement. You should be proud of yourself!

:)